Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Old Flame

When Alabama sang Old Flame at the first concert I saw, I knew I would never experience anything so memorable.  That was the first time I had seen cigarette lighters flicker across a massive arena.  They were playing in Rupp back in the 80's and Carla, my daughter LOVED Alabama.  Vowed she'd marry Randy Owens.  I told her he was my age; that didn't matter.  She was 12.  I kinda thought he was cute myself.

That song is one of the best loved hits of all times.  Why?  Because so many people I know have never gotten totally over their "old flame".  One or two even talk about or ask if I have seen them lately.  A first love never leaves.  My first was in the second grade.  A little redheaded boy who made my day by just showing up.  I sat at a table across from him and he entertained me.  He liked talking to me and I took that as liking me.  Second grade-imagine.  Then I fell hard in 7th grade but when I would not let him kiss me on a school trip, that ended that relationship.  I liked several boys and several of them would be old flames.  I'm grateful not to have married them, however, because the best one was just around the corner.  The problem with old flames is that if you do the rejecting, the flame goes out.  If they do the dumping, the flame still burns-just a little.  Do you agree?

No comments:

Post a Comment