Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Out Of The Mouth

The President doesn't use the right pronoun when he says "give it to Michelle and I."  The TV preacher doesn't use the right verb when he says "I learnt".  I seen, I done, I blowed, I have gave, it was froze, he has spoke, the pilot has flew, and he has went (and many others) DRIVE ME NUTS.  Anyone who graduated from high school knows better.  If people know better, then why don't they do better? Why is it important?  Your intelligence is judged as soon as you open your mouth. Kentucky gets a bad rap because of those who find the camera and speak like they went to the third grade.
  I am a grammar snob; I know that, especially when it comes to public speaking or public signs.  Dr. Phil's show yesterday was entitled, "How to not get scammed."  (Split infinitive)  Surely with the staff he has put together, someone would know that "not" should have gone before the "to".  A sign in town reads "Year's Gone By"  Years not year's.  Some mistakes are so small they go unnoticed, but the flagrant ones are as bright as a neon sign.  It is never too late to change bad habits.  For the sake of not being taken lightly, we all need to be aware of how we speak.  Dialect is one thing; bad grammar is another.  I'm stepping down off my stump now.

No comments:

Post a Comment